– in my eyes is the learning to relax, quieten the mind and focus on nothing (or something if you so wish).
I do find in my talks with people that some find meditation as some sort of exotic activity.
It’s what ‘New Age’ or ‘Spiritual’ thinking people do.
But really it is allowing yourself to think about nothing and if you do think about something, it is important that something is what you’d like to happen in your life. The more you focus on a thing the more likely it is to be a happening.
Unless you are open to change, how can you expect change to happen?
Meditation – Step by Steps
I will outline how to meditate, and it is up to the individual person to find their own comfortable quiet time.
- Sit quietly in a comfortable position
- Close your eyes
- Relax your muscles from head to toe
- Become conscious of your breathing. Breathe in and out through your nose. As you exhale, mentally repeat a word such as “love” or whatever works best for your mind to give you a sense of inner peace and comfort.
- Continue for 10-20 minutes
- Maintain a relaxed accepting attitude towards any thoughts or feelings that arise. When you notice them, let them go, and return your attention to your breathing and your word.
The more you practise this, the better you get at relaxing your body and quietening your mind. Many people find that meditation makes them feel more comfortable in their own body, more accepting of whom they are and it makes them better able to make good decisions in their lives.
By practising meditation regularly, you do shift away from feeling like a victim of the circumstances around you. Instead, you discover that you are able to recognise what is actually happening and you have choices to make towards your actions.
In deeper states of meditation, many people feel a oneness with life. Many people use meditation as a way to prepare themselves to effectively engage in their emotional releases, spiritual practises, mental training, or focusing on a desire.
A quiet mind is a peaceful mind.
Inspirational QuoteIt is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.